If you are looking for a year round career as a professional Instructor then our Ski and Water Sports Instructors Course does just that. Qualifying as a Ski and Water Sports Instructor gives you the best of both worlds, as well as being the envy of all your friends.
It is often the case that as a Water Sports Instructor when the sun goes down at the end of the season there are two choices. Follow the sun to the Caribbean in the Southern Hemisphere or go back to your home town to look for a winter job.
Year round employment
Having the ability to teach Skiing as well as Windsurfing or Dinghy Sailing offers the best of both worlds. As a Windsurfing or Dinghy Instructor the Mediterranean season begins in May with the last clients leaving in October. The Ski season begins in November, just enough time to fly home, change your shorts for ski boots before flying to the mountains to start the Ski season.
Having the ability to teach a variety of sports keeps life interesting and most importantly allows for year round employment, turning a passion for the outdoors into a career!
Ski and Water Sports Instructor Course
Part 1 – Ski Instructors Course
Training begins in Verbier, Switzerland with 10 weeks of Ski Instruction, coaching and practical teaching experience working towards the BASI Level 1 & 2 Ski Instructors Qualification. BASI is recognised world wide, giving you the opportunity to teach skiing in a number of countries including: America, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Switzerland, Austria and Italy.
You don’t have to be an expert skier to join this programme but you will have been skiing before. As a general rule, you are confident skiing down the fall-line on a red run. Our Instructors will improve your technique off-piste, on Moguls and steep slopes. As a trainee instructor you will spend time learning how to teach. You will gain valuable teaching experience at our ski school working with other instructors and clients.
Accommodation – (Included)
Accommodation is provided in our comfortable catered chalet in heart of Verbier, within walking distance of the ski lifts. The chalet is half-board and includes continental breakfast each day with a cooked breakfast once a week. The accommodation is cleaned daily and exclusive for customers on the BASI Level 1 & 2 Ski Instructors Course.
Verbier is without doubt one of the worlds top resorts. It provides a gateway to the 4 Valleys. The mountain town of Verbier sits at 1,500m with pistes extending all the way to 3,330m. With 412 km of slops, 92 lifts leading to some of the best skiing and free-ride skiing in the world. The main Ski season runs from December to April and offers skiing for the beginner to the hard core off-piste skiers. Famous for freeride, Verbier is home of legendary off-piste runs for those looking for that perfect power skiing.
Part 2 – Water Sports Instructor
All Water Sports training takes place in Vassiliki, Greece which is famous for awesome sailing conditions. You will have a choice of Water Sports to choose from. If you like Windsurfing then take our Windsurfing Instructors Course, or you could become a Dinghy Instructor instead. Both Instructor Courses are 6-weeks long.
Our schedule has you training 6 days a week between 10:00am and 5:00pm. We also offer optional fitness training twice a week at 8:00am when you can enjoy mountain biking, SUP, circuits, swimming or yoga. There will be 3 hours of tuition before lunch then the same in the afternoon rounding up with a debrief at 5:00pm. The equipment is available to use after sessions and in your own time. You will have Saturdays off to enjoy Vassiliki and the stunning Island of Lefkada.
Life off the water is just as exciting as life on it. When the sun goes down Vassiliki comes alive, with great dining and socialising in town. The Club Vass and Wildwind BBQs and entertainment shows are legendary and are not to be missed!
Accommodation – (Included)
Our accommodation famously known as the Fish House is in Vassiliki town, close to the bars, restaurants and supermarkets. The Fish House is in the heart of the action and only a 10 minute walk from the training centre at Club Vass.
The Flying Fish Windsurfing and Dinghy Sailing programmes are so well liked and our customers have such an amazing time that many don’t come home, instead spending the rest of the season in Greece working for one of the holiday companies in the beautiful Greek Islands.
Ski Instructors Course Inclusions
- Full season lift pass
- 24 hour support in resort
- 10 weeks of training, coaching and video analysis (30 hours Instruction per week).
- First aid and Off Piste Mountain Safety Course
- Fitness sessions with optional ski specific Yoga sessions
- Weekly team socials
- Half board accommodation (Food provided Monday to Friday)
- Off-Piste adventure days
- Airport transfers
- Career advice sessions
- Ski servicing deals
- Discounts of skis, boot, goggles and helmets
- Pro deals with Rossignol UK
Water Sports Course Inclusions
- Flying Fish team branded rash vest
- Self catering accommodation
- RYA publications W33 training manual and certificates
- RYA Powerboat Level 2 and rescue training
- RYA First Aid training with scenarios
- RYA Safe and Fun Course
- Full tuition up to advanced level from our highly experienced team
- Unlimited kit usage at Club Vass using the latest boards and sails
- Fitness training including SUP, swim, yoga and mountain bike options
Dates & pricing
|01/12/2019||28/06/2020||Switzerland and Greece||Available|
|05/01/2020||28/06/2020||Switzerland and Greece||Available|
Pre-requisite experience and qualifications
There are no formal pre-course requirements, just a desire to work outdoors!
- You need to be 18 years of age or older (if you are 17 we require a parent or guardian in resort)
- All students are required to secure travel insurance for the duration of their course
- You will be able to ski confidently, linking turns on a red run
Ski Instructor Course Itinerary:
Team building, settle in and meet the team. Your personal skiing is assessed and your individual training plan is created. Time on the slopes skiing
First aid course, technical skiing. Improve skiing in piste, mouguls, steeps and off-piste
Level 1 BASI Instructor exam
Ski the 4 valleys. Off-piste training and technical development.
Practical teaching experience, working with instructors and clients from our Ski School
Ski training, working on individual goals set by your Instructor
Final training before your level 2 exam. Exam prep
BASI level 2 ski Instructor exam
Water Sports Instructor Course Itinerary:
Weeks 1 and 2: Learning the Basics
- All the skills required to get you to RYA intermediate standard
- Theory: weather, tides, 7 common senses, rules of the road
- Upwind and downwind sailing techniques
- Rigging sails, types of sails
- Video coaching to help improve techniques
Weeks 3 and 4: Skills Development
- RYA Powerboat Level 2, rescue training and boat setup
- RYA First Aid training
- Personal tuition from intermediate to Advanced level
- Sailing upwind in strong winds
- Sail away trips
- High wind blasting (spinnakers)
- Optional fitness sessions
- Advanced theory knowledge
Week 5: Instructor Preparation
- RYA Safety and Fun course
- Theory & practical presentations
- Learning styles, feedback and teaching techniques
- Practice presentations pre-course questionnaires and feedback
- Afternoon high wind coaching
- Close quarters board handling and instructor skills
Week 6: Instructor Course
The Instructor Course runs Monday – Thursday with moderation on Friday. All students will be given the opportunity to deliver presentations and practical sessions. You will be assessed on your personal sailing skills, presentation techniques and how you give feedback. After this week you will be competent delivering all components of the RYA teaching syllabus.
Instructor Development is a two-week post-qualification work experience with an RYA Centre in Greece. Designed for graduates who have completed a Water Sports Instructor Course. The programme combines teaching practice with personal skills training to gain experience as an Instructor