Skip to content

Impartial training and careers advice

Call us: +44 (0)1983 280641

There’s a lot you’ll need to know before embarking on a course with Flying Fish.

We’ve gathered the most essential pieces of information for you below to make it as easy as possible for you. Please familiarise yourself with everything so that you can ensure you’re completely organised prior to embarking on one of our courses, or your yachting career!


In this section, you’ll find everything you need to know about Superyachts, including exactly what they are and what working on one is really like once you’ve achieved the necessary superyacht qualifications…

become a superyacht stewardess

Become a Steward/ess on a Superyacht

An indepth guide on how to become a Steward/ess on a Superyacht

Become a Deckhand

Become a Superyacht Deckhand

Decribes how to become a Deckhand on a Superyacht

worlds largest superyacht lit up at night

What is a Superyacht

A Superyacht is the name given to a privately owned sailing or powered yacht that is over 24m in length. Superyachts are owned by people who are looki…


Working on Superyachts

How do I get a job on a Superyachts? This is a question that we get asked a lot at Flying Fish. Getting started can appear a bit daunting, if you are …

Becoming an officer of the watch

If you are working as a Deckhand on a large yacht and are looking for a path through to Officer of the Watch 3000GT, it can be unclear what the best r…

MCA sea time requirements

If you are starting, partway through your career at sea then the MCA sea time requirements are something to think about.

Training record book

A training record book is part of the qualification requirements for a Deckhand who is looking to progress to Officer of the Watch on a Superyacht.

STCW Basic Safety Training

If you want to know more about STCW, then please check out this section for furter information.

Pelorus super yacht

How to get an STCW Certificate

If you looking for a new career and fancy working on a Superyacht, then you’re going to need to get your STCW certificates.

How to replace a lost certificate

If you have lost a certificate which was originally issued by Flying Fish we are happy to help with a replacement.

The ENG1 Medical

Below is some detailed information about the ENG1 medical, including a list of MCA approved doctors and what happens if I can’t get an ENG1 medical

The ENG1 medical

If you are planning to work at sea then you must have a Medical Fitness Certificate to prove that you don’t have any serious medical conditions tha…

Royal Yachting Association

The Royal Yachting Association (RYA) is the governing body and provides the training framework and regulation that Flying Fish, as an RYA training centre adhere to. Below is further information pertaining to courses delivered by Flying Fish.



What is an RYA Yachtmaster?

The RYA Yachtmaster qualification is a maritime certificate of competence, a driving license so to speak. Once qualified as an RYA Yachtmaster, it all…

RYA commercial endorsement

If you would like to work as a professional skipper on a vessel whether it be a Powerboat, sailing yacht or motorboat then you will need to apply for …

RYA Yachtmaster Theory Course

Requirements for Yachtmaster offshore exam

There is some confusion around the requirements for the RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Coastal or Offshore exam. We hope this guide helps explain these requ…

Preparing your Superyacht CV

If you need help preparing your Superyacht CV, then please see the guidance below.

How to write a Yachting CV

If you are new to the Yachting industry or have not written a CV for a while then our guide on how to write a Yachting CV will talk you through the do…

Funding you’re new career

Below are all the details you’ll need to be aware of in order to successfully finance your Superyacht career:

Funding your new career

Most people starting a new career with Flying Fish choose to pay for their training upfront. However, a growing number of customers funding a new care…

Learn more about what to expect on a course with Flying Fish, as well as essential safeguarding and data protection information and our complaints procedure:

What should you know?

What you need to know about us and our courses

Terms and conditions

Terms and Conditions. There is always some small print to read but we have done our best to keep ours to a minimum

Preparing a Superyacht CV

Flying Fish safeguarding policy

As a maritime training provider, Flying Fish is committed to the highest standards. We recognise that the training courses we offer lead to a professi…

General data protection regulation

At Flying Fish, we take data protection seriously and we have the technology and security procedures in place to ensure that the data you provide us i…

filling in a seafarers tax form

Complaints procedure

Flying Fish UK Ltd is a member of an established arbitration scheme, administered independently by Dispute Settlement Services Ltd. Arbitration offers…

Awarding authorities

Flying Fish training leads to qualifications and certificates from internationally recognised awarding authorities.

Accommodation rules

This agreement is for the benefit of everyone on your course, and to protect the good standing of Flying Fish as a training organisation.

Consumer information

Flying Fish UK Ltd was established in 1993 and incorporated in 1995. Flying Fish run professional training courses in the UK and Australia.

Equal opportunities

Flying Fish supports the principle of equal opportunities and opposes discrimination on the grounds of age, gender, colour, race, nationality, creed, …

Safety and emergency procedures

All customers completing shore based and practical training courses with Flying Fish UK Ltd are required to comply with our Safety and Emergency proce…

Is there anything else you’d like to know?

If so, be sure to browse through our blog and other resources, and don’t hesitate to get in touch with a member of the Flying Fish team – they’ll be more than happy to help!

Ask a question