The Dinghy Instructor Prep and Assessment Course is designed for competent dinghy sailors who already hold the RYA First Aid Certificate and the RYA Powerboat Level 2 with some driving experience. This course combines practical, on water skills training with shore-based sessions covering theory and teaching techniques and leads onto the internationally recognised RYA Dinghy Sailing Instructor qualification.
A Typical Training Day in Greece
You start at 7am with fitness training (optional and only in Vassiliki). This can be either swimming, mountain biking or yoga. Your training day starts after breakfast at 10am. There will be 3 hours of tuition before lunch then the same in the afternoon rounding up with a debrief at approximately 5pm. You train six days a week in Greece, with Saturdays free to enjoy time on the beach. The social scene comes alive in the evenings with live music and barbecues along the beach as well as fantastic restaurants and bars in Vassiliki town for some nights out to remember!
Why Flying Fish?
All Flying Fish dinghy sailing takes place at Wildwind Sailing in Vassiliki, Greece, one of the best locations in Europe. We aim for maximum time on the warm blue water using brand new equipment. Our Instructors are highly qualified, with countless seasons working around the world.
This course contains a serious focus on your personal ability aiming to push you to the advanced levels. During the course we will focus on good communication skills, an understanding of RYA training methods, in-depth theory knowledge, dinghy racing, group management, safety awareness and an effective coaching style. Flying Fish training ensures you enter your final assessment confident and expecting to pass.
If you choose our accommodation option, you’ll be staying in the famously known Fish House in Vassiliki town, close to the bars, restaurants and supermarkets. The Fish House is in the heart of the action and only a 10 minute walk from the training centre, Club Vass.
2 weeks using our self catering accommodation costs £300.
- Flying Fish Team branded rash vest
- All RYA publications and certificates
- RYA Safe and Fun Course
- Racing and race coaching
- RYA pre-assessment and Dinghy Instructor
- Full tuition up to advanced level from our highly experienced team
- Use of high-performance sailing boats and catamarans
- Optional fitness options including; SUP, swim, yoga and mountain bikes
- Mentored job hunting and access to our online recruitment service
Dates & pricing
Sorry, there are currently no dates scheduled for this course.
Pre-requisite experience and qualifications
- You need to be 18 years of age or older (if you are 17 you we require a parent or guardian in resort)
- Travel insurance is compulsory for all customers booked on our programmes in Greece
- Before the final week of your course you will need to join the RYA
- A recognised First Aid Certificate
- RYA Powerboat Level 2 Certificate
- Confident sailor in stronger conditions
- Competent sailor up to RYA Level 3 and seamanship standard
If you have less experience or need the RYA First Aid or RYA Powerboat certificates, try our Dinghy Instructor Fast-Track
If you are looking to qualify over the UK winter head to Australia and get a job at the start of the Med season: Dinghy Instructors course (Australia)
Week 1: Instructor Preparation Week
- RYA Safe and Fun Course
- Learning styles and teaching skills
- Instructor demo skills
- Practice presentations, questionnaires and feedback
- Close quarters sailing and boat handling
- Personal sailing coaching including racing and rudderless sailing
- Pre entry sailing assessment
Week 2: Dinghy Sailing Instructor Assessment Week
During this week an RYA-appointed Dinghy Coach/assessor will develop your on water teaching ability and evaluate your skills and teaching techniques. All students will be given the opportunity to deliver presentations and practical sessions with feedback. After this week students will be competent in delivering all components of the RYA Dinghy syllabus.
We recommend all Flying Fish graduates to join our Instructor Development Programme, two weeks of organised work experience with a Water sports Centre in Vassiliki. This will further boost your CV and increase your employability.
If you are NOT confident sailing at Level 3 standard or you do not have the RYA First Aid or Powerboat certificates you may want to consider the Dinghy Instructor Fast-Track Course in Greece.
If you are looking to qualify over the UK winter, head to Australia first and then get a job at the start of the Med season: Dinghy Instructors course (Australia)
Or stay in Vassiliki, make yourself twice as employable and complete the Windsurfing Instructor Course?