Our six-week Dinghy Instructor course combines intensive skills coaching both on and off the water in one of the best warm water training locations in the world. If you are a beginner or have just mastered the basics Flying Fish will take you to Dinghy Instructor in just six weeks.
The course leads to the RYA dinghy instructor qualification, preparing you for work as a professional instructor in any number of RYA Training centres around the world
Flying Fish will teach you the basics quickly moving to more advanced skills, racing, safety and seamanship. You will be able to sail efficiently on all points of sail, working as crew or helm in high-performance dinghies. You will learn about meteorology, tides, knots and boat maintenance.
To be an effective teacher, our experienced instructors and trainers will show you how to give professional presentations and present feedback. After the six-week course, you will have the practice and theoretical knowledge needed to be awarded the RYA Dinghy Instructors qualification.
This a great course to do as part of a Gap year or career break. You will have a great adventure in Australia, be looked after by our team in Sydney and finish with a qualification that you can use for life. The advantage of training down under is that you complete your training during the Northern hemisphere winter, so you will be qualified and ready to start working as an instructor when the holiday season begins in Europe around April/May.
- All RYA Publications and Certificates.
- RYA Powerboat Level 2 and Rescue Training.
- RYA First Aid training with scenarios.
- RYA Safe and Fun Course
- Racing and Race coaching
- RYA Pre-assessment and Dinghy Instructor
- Full tuition up to Advanced level from our highly experienced team.
- Mentored job hunting and access to our online recruitment service
Dates & pricing
|22/01/2018||02/03/2018||Sydney Australia||4 Spaces Left|
Pre-requisite experience and qualifications
There are no formal pre-course requirements, just a desire to be on the water!
- You need to be 18 Years of age
- Before the final week of your course you will need to join the RYA
A typical training day in Australia
In Sydney, you start at 07:00 with a morning surf before breakfast. You are picked up at 09:00, with training beginning at 10:00 at our base at Middle Harbour. You train for 5 days a week. Evenings and weekends are free; Sydney is a fantastic city and with so much to see and do you are spoilt for choice. Choose Manly with its busy bars and restaurants or hop on a ferry to explore Sydney and all it has to offer.
Weeks 1 and 2: Skills Training
- Learn to sail, we teach you how to sail a dinghy on your own or as part of a crew. You will learn how to sail effectively and develop those all important seamanship and racing skills.
- Theory, weather, tides, rules of sailing, equipment, rigging and de-rigging and that all important – boat maintenance.
- Each afternoon when the wind increases you will get to experience sailing on high-performance dinghies using spinnakers with one of our expert instructors.
- By the end of the two weeks, you will be at RYA Level 3 standard.
Weeks 3 and 4: Instructor Skills Development
- RYA Powerboat level 2 and Rescue Training.
- RYA First Aid Training with scenarios.
- Personal sailing tuition working towards the advanced modules.
- Sail away Trips.
- Video Coaching.
- High Wind Blasting.
- Racing and Race Coaching.
Week 5: Instructor Preparation Week
- RYA Safe and Fun Course.
- Learning styles and teaching skills.
- Instructor Demo Skills.
- Practice presentations, questionnaires and feedback.
- Close quarters sailing and boat handling.
- Pre entry Sailing Assessment.
During this week an RYA appointed Dinghy Coach/assessor will develop your on water teaching ability and evaluate your skills and teaching techniques. All students will be given the opportunity to deliver presentations and practical sessions with feedback. After this week students will be competent delivering all components of the RYA Dinghy syllabus.
If you are not able to make the training course dates in Australia try our Dinghy Instructors course in Vassiliki Greece.
Why not train as a windsurf instructor as well and make your self twice as employable?