The one-week Advanced Windsurf Instructor upgrade is designed for qualified Intermediate instructors with significant experience in the RYA training scheme. We train you in teaching techniques at the top of the sport, with the emphasis on personal coaching and elite performance.
Achieving the RYA’s Advanced Instructors qualification is as high as you can go before becoming a Windsurfing Trainer. The qualification means you teach advanced skills at any high performance windsurfing centres running RYA courses.
Flying Fish’s Advanced Instructors course is run at Club Vass, a high wind windsurfing centre in Vasiliki, Greece. Club Vass always has the latest equipment all rigged up and ready to go. You will be able to see how the professionals run high level windsurfing sessions in these strong cross shore conditions that Vassiliki is famous for.
You will stay at our own Fish House in the heart of Vasiliki. The Fish House is only a ten minute walk from Club Vass.
Pre-instructor course refresher
If you are a bit rusty and would like some tuition before your Instructors course then please contact Flying Fish on the telephone number at the top your screen and we can discuss additional training.
- Unlimited Equipment Hire at Club Vassiliki Windsurfing
- Tuition, publications and certification.
- RYA Advanced Windsurfing Instructors.
- Free online recruitment service.
- Flights include includes overseas transfers
Dates & pricing
Pre-requisite experience and qualifications
You must be 18 years old and hold the Advanced Windsurfing certificate plus clinics in Beach Starts and Carve Gybing.
You must be a qualified Intermediate planing instructor with 100 hours teaching hours logged in your W33 and hold the RYA Powerboat Level 2 qualification, a valid first aid certificate (please see the RYA’s list of approved First Aid certificates) and an RYA membership.
As well as your course, if you are an early riser you will be able to join guided mountain bike rides, fitness sessions or take a morning swim in the beautiful clear waters of Vasiliki Bay. At the end of the day, there will be time to unwind and take time out for some personal windsurfing.
In the evening Vasiliki’s nightlife kicks in, Vass is a busy town full of bars and restaurants where you find friendly, like-minded people enjoying a cool beer chatting about the days activities.
The course starts at 10:00 on the Monday with a course briefing from an RYA Windsurfing Trainer, you will then go through:
- Advanced Simulator techniques with reference to the RYA’s Fastfwd scheme.
- Board choice and tuning.
- On water sessions and coaching tips for Advanced windsurfing.
You will be asked to demonstrate your coaching style with on water sessions and land based drills to include:
- Choice of fins.
- Running good coaching sessions.
- Rig choice and sail accessories.
- Water start demonstrations.
- Mid-courses debrief so you know where your strengths and weaknesses lie.
Here you will look at the theory side of being an instructor and what your students would expect from a windsurfing course:
- Local weather effects, tides, video session and theory quiz.
- Carve gybes and advanced carving.
- Customer care.
- On water advanced windsurfing skills.
- High wind powerboat rescue techniques.
The final day of the course:
- Sailing in waves and freestyle sailing.
- Review quiz.
- On water exercises, bump and jump.
- Debrief and evaluation with individual debriefs.
- A well-earned beer!