This one day Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) approved course teaches you to use VHF (Short Range) as well as MF and HF (Long Range) radio for distress, urgency, safety and general calls. The course includes GMDSS and DSC.
Operators of ship radio stations in Australia must possess a certificate of proficiency to use a radio because the marine radio provides an essential link both to global safety services and to other seafarers.
This course will provide hands on practice and will give confidence if confronted with an emergency.
The certificate is accepted by the RYA if you are looking to complete your RYA Yachtmaster Coastal or Offshore Certificate of Competence.
- Training, exam fee and certification.
Dates & pricing
Pre-requisite experience and qualifications
No previous experience is needed.
The course starts at 9:00 and finishes at 5:00 pm. Expect to cover:
- The basics of VHF radio.
- Different types of radio, VHF, MF and HF.
- Practical use of the sets.
- Routine calls to other radios.
- VHF Channels used for VHF, MF and HF.
- Phonetic alphabet.
- Digital selective calling (DSC).
- May-day, Urgency and Security messages.
At the end of the course, there is a written and practical exam.