The Essential Navigation and Seamanship course provides an introduction to the navigation, theory and safety knowledge required to go boating safely at sea. This course is designed for new or inexperienced skippers and crew, who want to go power boating, sailing or just want to know the basics.
This course works well if combined with Powerboat Level 2 or an Introduction to Sailing course. If you are buying a new boat then, with this, you will have a basic understanding of Navigation and Safety techniques to get you started.
The course is two-days, mainly classroom based. You will visit a marina to see how boats work, maintenance tips, how to tie your boat up correctly plus much more. You will benefit from our Instructors knowledge of the subject plus top-tips from somebody who has been in the industry for many years.
- Tuition and certification.
- RYA Essential Navigation and Seamanship pack.
Dates & pricing
Sorry, there are currently no dates scheduled for this course.
Pre-requisite experience and qualifications
No previous experience is needed.
Over the course of the two days, the instructors will cover a range of topics:
- Introduction to the tools of the navigator.
- Understanding Nautical charts, publications and Almanacs.
- Safety procedures and equipment onboard.
- longitude and position fixing symbols.
- Fixing your position on the chart.
- Understanding tides.
- Pilotage and passage planning.
- Engine checks.
- Weather forecasting.
- IRPCS – rules and regulations.
We would recommend joining one of our Powerboat Level 2 courses to put your skills into practice. If you have not used a VHF radio before then consider our one-day radio course.