Professional Practices and Responsibilities (PPR) is for anybody who recently qualified as an RYA Yachtmaster and is looking to work as a professional skipper.
To work as a skipper onboard a British flagged vessel you will need to apply to the RYA for a commercial endorsement. Completing the PPR course is part of the process for commercial endorsement.
What is involved?
The course is designed to introduce you to the professional world of working as a skipper and the responsibilities of being in charge. The course is broken down in to four basic headings:
- Commercial environment – how you fit into the professional maritime world
- People – the importance of correct manning, keeping your skills up to date, and the safe management of a commercial vessel
- Vessel – the compulsory carriage and maintenance of safety equipment and how to create and implement risk control and operating procedures
- Purpose – making sure your vessel is suitable and legal for the work you are carrying out, your obligations in protecting the environment, appropriate planning, and situational awareness.
How do I complete the PPR course?
The PPR course is completed online. The course usually takes between six and eight hours to work through the four-course and PPR and exams.
To enable access to your online course we need to share some of your personal data with the RYA via your user profile in www.ryainteractive.org. Flying Fish will set up a username and password on our admin portal then email you the details. You will then be able to access the online course
This learning management website is hosted and maintained by a third party called Learning Pool, who will not use your personal information for any reason other than enabling your course.
More information about our General Data Protection Regulations can be found here
- Registration and exam fee.
Dates & pricing
|01/01/2022||01/01/2022||Online only||Please ignore the dates!|
Pre-requisite experience and qualifications
No requirements, only an understanding of the maritime industry.
We strongly recommend that you complete all the training modules, which are:
- Commercial environment – how you fit into the professional maritime world.
- People – the importance of correct manning, keeping your skills up to date and the safe management of commercial vessels.
- Vessel – the compulsory carriage and maintenance of safety equipment and how to create and implement risk control and operating procedures.
- Purpose – making sure your vessel is suitable and legal for the work you are carrying out, your obligations in protecting the environment, appropriate planning and situational awareness.
Following the modules, there is a mock assessment so you can check you are ready before moving on to the final graded online assessment.
Once you have booked and paid the course fee online, you will receive a username and password to allow you to access the interactive PPR section of the RYA website. You study in your own time and take the exam when it suits you by logging onto the RYA site via a link and then completing registration and starting your course.
The course can be done at your leisure however, the exams are timed so do make time to sit the exams.
If you are looking to work at sea as a commercial skipper or instructor then we recommend completing your STCW Basic Safety Training Certificates.