to search, or
to cancel

How can we help?

This search facility will trawl through our site to find you exactly what you’re looking for. Search for courses, paths, blog content or more general information.

To search for jobs, please visit our recruitment section.

RYA/MCA Yachtmaster

The RYA/MCA Yachtmaster is like a driving licence for the sea. Having your RYA Yachtmaster certificate means you have the knowledge and competence to skipper a sailing yacht up to 24m in length, up to 150 miles from a safe haven.

Commercial Endorsement

You can also use your RYA Yachtmaster qualification to work as a commercial skipper, in which case you will need to apply for commercial endorsement.

To commercially endorse your RYA certificate of competency you are required to hold:

Most sailors who hold their RYA/MCA Yachmaster certificate and intend to work in the yachting industry complete  STCW basic training course which includes Sea survival. Having STCW certificates allows the holder to skipper a sailing yachts up to 200 gross tonnes which could be larger than 24m in length. This qualification is called the Master of Yachts 200GT.

Once you are commercially endorsed, it opens the door to employment, whether as a Flotilla or charter skipper, an RYA instructor, world wide deliveries or Superyachts.

There are many beautiful yachts out there that are under 200 gross tonnes like sailing yacht Vargo. Nobody is going to give you the keys to Vargo after you have just passed, but it gives an idea what you could be doing in the future!

Personal goal

Some customers do not wish to work as a Commercial Yachtmaster, preferring to gain the qualification to further their knowledge and understanding of what it takes to be a competent skipper. In this case then you only need to complete a recognised First Aid course and a VHF radio course before sitting the Yachtmaster Offshore exam. First aid and VHF are part of our Yachtmaster Offshore or Ocean course

Pre-exam requirements

Before taking the RYA Offshore or Ocean exam you are required to have prerequisite knowledge, practical experience and safety training. Flying Fish provide the mileage, experience and training.

Offshore or Ocean

There are two Yachtmaster qualifications available:

RYA Yachtmaster Offshore: This is the most popular qualification, it allows you to skipper a sailing yacht up to 150 miles from a safe haven. Most employers, insurance companies and Superyacht require the Yachtmaster offshore certificate as proof of competence.

RYA Yachtmaster Ocean: Allows the holder to skipper a sailing yacht anywhere in the world (unlimited distance from a safe haven). Taken by sailors who wish to skipper a sailing yacht across the Atlantic or around the world. Also required for Officer of the Watch on large commercial vessels and Superyachts.

Do I need my Yachtmaster to work on Superyachts?

Yes and No. You don’t need to have an RYA Yachtmaster offshore certificate, however, a lot of boats are asking for the Yachtmaster Offshore certificate for Deckhand positions. If you are looking to progress up the ranks from Deckhand to Officer of the Watch (OOW) then yes, you will need your Yachtmaster offshore (limited) or Yachtmaster Ocean (unlimited) certificate.

For full information on whats required to become the Office Of the Watch on large sailing or Motor Yachts then see section 3.3 of MSN 1858.

Impartial training and careers advice.
Call us:
+44 (0)1983 280641