The Dinghy Instructor Course will teach you all the necessary skills to become an RYA Dinghy Instructor. It will also prepare you for work as a professional or club instructor.
The Dinghy Instructor Course is designed for intermediate sailors who already have basic dinghy sailing skills. The course aims to help sailors gain confidence, improve sailing techniques, and ultimately become an RYA Dinghy Instructor.
A 4-week course in Sydney, Australia, with great sailing conditions, warm water, sunshine, and beautiful scenery.
The course includes personal tuition, RYA Powerboat Level Two training, rescue training, seamanship skills, and a first aid course.
The final part of the course is the RYA Dinghy Instructors course, where participants can demonstrate their sailing skills and teaching style. Upon completion of the course, participants will receive RYA publications and certificates.
The course is held at Middle Harbour Yacht Club on Sydney Harbour, offering a stunning location for the Dinghy Instructors Course. The weather is generally warm, sunny, and windy. There are plenty of stunning sandy beaches for you to sail to. As well as the sailing, there is plenty to do, fantastic nightlife, and lots to see and explore.
Sydney is a fantastic place to escape to for the winter. Many of our customers travel and explore before and after the course. Sydney is home to some of the world’s most beautiful beaches and great tourist destinations, with Manly being one of them.
Manly has lots to offer, with friendly people, stunning bars and restaurants, and only a 30-minute ferry ride to the Sydney Opera House and the heart of the city center.
Most of our international customers stay in the stunning beachside suburb of Manly and book a self-catering apartment on Airbnb. Flying Fish can offer accommodation in one of our crew apartments in Manly, sharing an apartment with other Flying Fish customers. The accommodation is self-catering and a popular choice for customers who want to stay on the beach! Please contact us for more details.
Our training center is based at Middle Harbour Yacht Club, a 15-minute bus ride or 10 minutes in a taxi.
Why Flying Fish
So many people choose Flying Fish because of our training location, experience, and history of running professional RYA Dinghy Instructor courses. Train with Flying Fish and enjoy Sydney Harbour, warm water, sunshine, and some of the best sailing conditions in the world.
Train with Flying Fish to combine your RYA Dinghy Instructors Course with travel and adventure.
- Flying Fish is well known for our Dinghy, Windsurf, and Yachtmaster Courses in Sydney. We have been running Dinghy Instructor training courses in Australia since 1995 and have seen many customers qualify as Dinghy Instructors and work in the Watersports industry.
- Sydney is known for its relaxed, cosmopolitan lifestyle, incredible beaches, and great surf. You sail hard during the day and unwind on the beach at night.
- The evenings and weekends are a time to explore Sydney and enjoy the bars, restaurants, and Aussie way of life. Many customers learn to surf, live life outdoors, and enjoy the Aussie laid-back way of life.
- There is so much to do that most customers stay in Australia and carry on the adventure!
To join this 4-week Dinghy Instructors course, you would be competent to RYA Level 2 standard.
To provide some context, you would already have the following knowledge and experience:
- Able to rig a dinghy for various weather conditions
- You can tie the basic knots, bowline, sheet bend, clove hitch and a round turn, and two half hitches.
- Knows the five essentials.
- You can sail on all points of sail; close reach, broad reach, beam reach, etc.
- Can recover from a capsize.
- Understands basic meteorology.
- Seamensip skills: Anchoring, close-quarter sailing, and safety equipment
If you are a beginner sailor then please contact us and we can arrange for an additional week of training in Sydney before the course starts.
Training starts at 10:00 am at our training centre, finishing around 5:00 pm each day. You train for five days a week, and evenings and weekends are free.
Weeks 1 and 2
RYA level 2 and 3 sailing skills:
You start with personal tuition working on your skills and practicing new ones aiming toward the advanced dinghy modules. RYA Powerboat Level Two plus rescue training to familiarise yourself with techniques used in high wind training centres. Sail away trips, racing and coaching skills, and high wind blasting on performance dinghies.
Week 3 – Seamenship skills
RYA Safety and Fun Course. Learning and teaching styles. Pre-Instructor course questionnaire sessions, practice presentations, and how to give feedback. Close-quarter sailing skills, boat handling, rudderless sailing, and final coaching session before pre-assessment.
RYA Powerboat Level 2 Course
Week 4 – Dinghy Instructors course
First Aid Course
Pre-assessment. An RYA Dinghy Coach/assessor will evaluate your skills and teaching techniques in preparation for the Instructors course. The following four days is your Dinghy Instructors course allowing you to showcase your sailing ability and teaching style ashore and afloat.
- RYA Powerboat Level 2 and rescue training
- First Aid training
- RYA Safe and Fun Course
- Racing and race coaching
- RYA Pre-assessment and Dinghy Instructor
- All RYA Publications and certificates
- Full tuition up to advanced level from our highly experienced team
What our previous customers have to say
What an absolute honour and pleasure it was being a part of Flying Fish family for the 2 weeks I completed with them! From the professional, helpful and attentive staff to fun, laughter and memories.
Staff are amazing and so kind! Great course and great accommodation. Lovely location and an all round great friendly atmosphere.
Book Dinghy Instructor Course today!
Our Dinghy Instructors course in Sydney, Austrlaia