The RYA Cruising Instructor course is a requirement for commercial Yachtmasters wishing teach RYA Practical courses up to Day Skipper level. Once qualified you will be ready to start work at any RYA sailing school around the world
To become an instructor you need more than just sailing ability, good seamanship skills and experience. Your teaching style, an understanding of the different learning styles are fundamental to delivering a good training course. Your students will want to learn a new skills and have fun, feel safe and challenged all at the same time, so creating a positive learning environment is key. Flying Fish have been running instructor training courses for over 20 years, we have a detailed understanding of what makes a good instructor, how to inspire others and deliver a fantastic training course.
Our 5-day live aboard course takes you through the RYA scheme, you will learn how to teach all the different sailing skills that are part of the RYA Start Sailing, Competent Crew and Day Skipper practical courses. You will learn instructional techniques, skills training, the teaching method, how to give effective practical presentations and what it takes to become a good Cruising Instructor.
Accommodation and food on board the yacht, publications and the exam fee.
Dates & pricing
Sorry, there are currently no dates scheduled for this course.
Pre-requisite experience and qualifications
You hold a commercially endorsed RYA Yachtmaster Offshore or Ocean certificate, have completed the online RYA PPR course and the RYA pre-course knowledge check. As an instructor you are required to be an RYA member. You must be 18 years old to book this course
During the the 5-day course you will practice, teach and be assessed on each of the following five areas:
- Safety and environment
- Sailing skills
- Chart work
- Passage and Pilotage planning
- The RYA scheme
- Your role as a RYA Instructor
- Woking in the sailing industry and your responsibilities
- Start Sailing – 2 day course
- RYA Competent Crew – 5 days
- RYA Day Skipper – 5 days
- Adverse weather planning
- You will be asked to present short presentation on a topic from the RYA sailing scheme
- Teaching styles
- Interactive training sessions
- Briefing and debriefing skills
Practical teaching techniques
- Teaching practical and theoretical skills from MOB’s to plotting a Course to Steer
- Role play exercises
- The difference between teaching and coaching
- Creating a positive learning environment
- Understanding learning styles
If you have not commercially endorsed your RYA Yachtmaster Offshore or Ocean certificate then your first step is to complete the PPR course