If you would like to travel the world then a job on a Superyacht could be what you are looking for. Our Superyacht Deckhand Course gives you everything you need to start looking for work as a Deckhand.
Working as a Deckhand on a Superyacht is a job like no other. You will spend your days earning money working in the sunshine onboard an incredible yacht in some of the most amazing destinations in the world! To work onboard a Superyacht you’ll need to be hard working and prepared to be away from home for long periods, but there are fantastic opportunities to advance your career for the right individuals! Learn more about the life of a Deckhand.
Superyacht Deckhand Course
Our most popular programme, the Superyacht Deckhand course includes all the skills and qualifications you need to start your new career. The course includes STCW Basic Safety training, Powerboat Level 2 and our Deck crew programme which teaches you your role onboard. An important aspect of the programme is preparing you for life on a Superyacht, your CV, and how to find that first job. Flying Fish customers benefit from our exclusive recruitment day in Antibes. We include a comprehensive guide to working on a Superyacht.
Where to stay
If you choose our accommodation option, the Flying Fish crew houses in Cowes are comfortable and centrally located. Just a 2 minute walk to the town and our training centre, this will take the stress out of finding your own accommodation. You will be able to mix and socialise with other people on the course who, like you, will be starting a career in the Superyacht industry.
Two weeks using our self catering accommodation costs £420.
Have you completed an ENG1 Medical?
All crew who want to work on a Superyacht are required to hold an ENG1 medical. We recommend you complete the ENG1 Medical before the start of your course, as it confirms you are fit to go to sea.
Why train with Flying Fish?
1. Flying Fish limit student numbers to small groups. This means you have the opportunity for one-to-one time with our expert Instructors.
2. Flying Fish are always happy to tailor courses to your needs. Our courses are modular so additional elements can be added or removed.
4. Flying Fish includes a CV day where we help you write a Yachting CV. We continue to offer help and advice after you’ve completed your course plus a written reference to accompany your CV.
5. Flying Fish offer a free and exclusive Recruitment Event in Antibes. This event not only hooks you up with crew agents and helps you seek employment, we also give you knowledge on the local area and how to live there on a budget! Over a week’s worth of knowledge wrapped into one day!
No need to take our word for it, check out what our past students have to say about their time with Flying Fish!
Also, check out what one of our 2018 Superyacht Stewardess graduates, Rosie Jones has to say about finding work in the Superyacht industry!
- STCW Basic Safety Training
- Superyacht Deckhand Certificate
- MCA Proficiency in Designated Security Duties (PDSD)
- RYA Powerboat Level 2
- RYA Personal Watercraft Course (PWC)
- RYA VHF Radio
- RYA Radar course
- RYA Diesel Engine Maintenance
- CV/Industry preparation day with one of our experts
- Realistic Deckhand job interview with one of our experts
- Free online recruitment service
- Superyacht Recruitment Event in Antibes
- Small student groups for personal approach and one-to-one time
- A written reference from one of our experts and ongoing support on completion of your training
Dates & pricing
|13/01/2020||27/01/2020||Cowes, Isle of Wight||Waitlisted, please call +441983 280641|
|10/02/2020||25/02/2020||Cowes, Isle of Wight||1 space left!|
|09/03/2020||24/03/2020||Cowes, Isle of Wight||3 spaces left|
|06/04/2020||21/04/2020||Cowes, Isle of Wight||5 spaces left|
|04/05/2020||19/05/2020||Cowes, Isle of Wight||8 spaces left|
|25/05/2020||09/06/2020||Cowes, Isle of Wight||5 spaces left|
|22/06/2020||07/07/2020||Cowes, Isle of Wight||8 spaces left|
|20/07/2020||04/08/2020||Cowes, Isle of Wight||6 spaces left|
|17/08/2020||01/09/2020||Cowes, Isle of Wight||8 spaces left|
|07/09/2020||22/09/2020||Cowes, Isle of Wight||8 spaces left|
|05/10/2020||20/10/2020||Cowes, Isle of Wight||7 spaces left|
|09/11/2020||24/11/2020||Cowes, Isle of Wight||8 spaces left|
Pre-requisite experience and qualifications
You must be 18 years old or older to train with Flying Fish.
The course is suitable for complete beginners who are looking to work as a Deckhand on a commercial yacht. You should be well-groomed and smart in appearance along with a strong work ethic, which is vital to your new career.
To work on a Superyacht you will need to complete an ENG1 Medical and we recommend you complete this prior to the start of your course, though this is not essential.
The course is made up of fun, action-packed practical and theory exercises that will gain you certificates and tickets essential for putting you ahead of others looking for work in the industry. Here is an overview of the course structure:
STCW Basic Safety Training – 6 Days
STCW Basic Safety is a compulsory qualification for crew on Superyachts:
- Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting
- Personal Safety and Social Responsibilities
- Proficiency in Security Awareness
- Personal Survival Techniques
- Elementary First Aid
- Security Awareness Training
VHF Radio Operators Course – 1 Day
RYA Radio VHF Short Range Certificate (GMDSS/DSC) teaches you marine radio techniques and emergency procedures. VHF (SRC) exam fee not included. Payable to the RYA. On completion of this course you will have gained your VHF Radio licence.
Superyacht Deckhand Training – 5 Days
The next week is spent learning new skills you will need as a Deckhand. These include:
- Getting a job, career advice, creating your CV, references, interview techniques
- Skills needed, the role of a Deckhand and life onboard
- MCA Proficiency in Designated Ship Security Duties (PDSD) taught by an ex-royal marine
- RYA Diesel engine maintenance course
- A master class in rope work, knots and splicing
- RYA Radar Course
RYA Powerboat Level 2 Course – 2 Days
This course is a legal requirement for crew who need to drive the yacht tender. You will be on the water in one of our RIBs focusing on slow speed manoeuvres plus theory knowledge needed to drive the yacht tender. On completion of this course you will gain your Powerboat licence.
PWC (Jet Ski) Course – 1 Day
This practical, exciting course will teach you all there is to know about the Jet Ski and how to use one safely. Jet Skis are often found on luxury yachts and it’s the crew’s job to know how to use these toys! On completion of this course you will gain your Personal Watercraft licence.
Superyacht Recruitment Event in Antibes (Optional)
There is no additional charge for this Recruitment Event in the South of France. Our staff in Antibes help you through the process of seeking employment. The event includes: looking at local crew agencies, what to expect, personal presentation, dos and don’ts, dock walking, and a final polish of your CV before you begin your career in the Superyacht industry.
If you would prefer to work as a Steward/ess then you may like our Superyacht Steward or Stewardess course.