If you would like to travel the world then a job on a Superyacht could be what you are looking for. Our Superyacht Deckhand Course gives you everything you need to start looking for work as a Deckhand.
Working as a Deckhand on a superyacht is a job like no other. You will spend your days earning money working in the sunshine on-board an incredible yacht in some of the most amazing destinations in the world! The average salary for a Deckhand just starting out in the industry is around €2,500 per month tax-free depending on your nationality and don’t forget about the tips coming from the rich and famous! Your accommodation and food on-board is paid for so you can potentially save loads whilst travelling to world!
Working on-board a superyacht you’ll need to be hard working and prepared to be away from home for long periods but there are fantastic opportunities to advance your career for the right individuals!
Why train with Flying Fish?
1. Flying Fish limit student numbers to small groups. This means you have the opportunity for one-to-one time with our expert Instructors. You can use this time to perfect any skills you may be struggling with to guarantee a successful start into the industry.
2. Flying Fish are always happy to tailor courses to your needs. Would you like to become a deckhand but already have your Powerboat Level 2 licence? No problem, our bespoke course options mean you won’t need to spend any time or money unnecessarily.
3. Flying Fish provide shared self-catering accommodation in crew houses only a minutes’ walk from our training centre in Cowes. Our crew houses are a fantastic way for you to spend time with other students, often cooking and going out together, you’ll create friendships you’ll take with you as you travel the world.
4. Flying Fish include a CV day and mock Superyacht interview with one of our industry experts. We will work with you throughout your time with us to make sure your CV is the best it can be. We can even provide CV guidance and proofreading after you’ve completed your course plus a written reference to accompany your CV.
5. Flying Fish offer a free and exclusive Recruitment Event in Antibes. This event not only hooks you up with crew agents and helps you seek employment, we also give you knowledge on the local area and how to live there on a budget! Over a week’s worth of knowledge wrapped into one day!
No need to take our word for it, check out what our past students have to say about their time with Flying Fish!
See how Charlotte Fox, one of our 2017 Superyacht Stewardess graduates, is getting on after a year in the Superyacht industry!
- All safety equipment, publications and certification.
- Proficiency in Designated Security Duties.
- CV/Industry preparation day with one of our experts.
- Free online recruitment service.
- Superyacht Recruitment Event in Antibes.
- CV proofreading.
- Realistic Deckhand job interview with one of our experts.
- Small student groups for personal approach.
- One-two-one time with instructors when required along the way.
Dates & pricing
|13/08/2018||27/08/2018||Cowes, Isle of Wight||Available|
|03/09/2018||17/09/2018||Cowes, Isle of Wight||Available|
|24/09/2018||08/10/2018||Cowes, Isle of Wight||Available|
|22/10/2018||05/11/2018||Cowes, Isle of Wight||Available|
|19/11/2018||03/12/2018||Cowes, Isle of Wight||Available|
Pre-requisite experience and qualifications
You must be 18 years old to train with Flying Fish.
The course is suitable for complete beginners who are looking to work as a deckhand on a commercial yacht. You should have a strong work ethic, vital to your new career.
To work on a Superyacht you will need to complete an ENG1 Medical and we recommend you complete this prior to the start of your course, though this is not essential.
The course is made up of fun, action-packed practical and theory exercises that will gain you certificates and tickets essential for putting you ahead of others looking for work in the industry. Here is an overview of the course structure:
STCW Basic Safety Training – 6 Days
STCW Basic Safety is a compulsory qualification for crew on superyachts:
- Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting.
- Personal Safety and Social Responsibilities.
- Proficiency in Security Awareness.
- Personal Survival Techniques.
- Elementary First Aid.
- Security Awareness Training.
VHF Radio Operators Course – 1 Day
RYA Radio VHF Short Range Certificate (GMDSS/DSC) teaches you marine radio techniques and emergency procedures. VHF (SRC) exam fee not included. Payable to the RYA. On completion of this course you will have gained your VHF Radio licence.
Superyacht Deckhand Training – 5 Days
The next week is spent learning new skills you will need as a Deckhand. These include:
- Getting a job, career advice, creating your CV, references, interview techniques.
- Skills needed, the role of a Deckhand and life on-board.
- MCA Proficiency in Designated Ship Security Duties (PDSD) taught by an ex-royal marine.
- GRP Course run in a working boat yard.
- A master class in rope work, knots and splicing.
- RYA Radar Course.
RYA Powerboat Level 2 Course – 2 Days
This course is a legal requirement for crew who need to drive the yacht tender. You will be on the water in one of our RIBs focusing on slow speed manoeuvres plus theory knowledge needed to drive the yacht tender. On completion of this course you will gain your Powerboat licence.
PWC (Jet Ski) Course – 1 Day
This practical, exciting course will teach you all there is to know about the Jet Ski and how to use one safely. Jet Skis are often found on luxury yachts and it’s the crews job to know how to use these toys! On completion of this course you will gain your Personal Watercraft licence.
Superyacht Recruitment Event in Antibes (Optional)
There is no additional charge for this Recruitment Event in the South of France. Our staff in Antibes help you through the process of seeking employment. The event includes: looking at local crew agencies, what to expect, personal presentation, dos and don’ts, dock walking, and a final polish of your CV before you begin your career in the superyacht industry.