to search, or
to cancel

How can we help?

This search facility will trawl through our site to find you exactly what you’re looking for. Search for courses, paths, blog content or more general information.

To search for jobs, please visit our recruitment section.

Commercial Endorsement

What is Commercial Endorsement? If you would like to work on a vessel whether it be a Powerboat, Yacht or Motor boat then you will need to apply for Commercial Endorsement.

Commercial endorsement

Commercial Endorsement is required to work on any vessel that takes paying passengers. A commercial vessel can be defined as:

A Motor or sailing vessel in commercial use (i.e. Charter) for sport or pleasure, carrying no cargo and not more than 12 paying passengers.

You are able to apply for a Commercial Endorsement on any of the following qualifications:

  • RYA Powerboat level 2
  • RYA Advanced powerboat
  • RYA Day skipper practical (Power or Sail). You must have completed RYA Day skipper theory to
  • RYA Yachtmaster Coastal certificate of competence
  • RYA Yachtmaster Offshore certificate of competence
  • RYA Yachtmaster Ocean certificate of competence

How do I commercially endorse my certificate

Before you can apply to the RYA to get your certificate commercially endorsed, you need to complete the following:

  1. ENG1 or ML5 medical.
  2. Sea survival certificate
  3. The RYA online Professional Practices and Responsibilities course, known as PPR.

Once you have completed these three steps then you can apply for commercial endorsement through the RYA. It can take a couple of weeks for your certificate to arrive in the post, so plan ahead.

STCW endorsement

Some overseas employers, Superyachts or flag states will require STCW Basic Safety Training Certificates. If you are thinking of working outside the UK then we would recommend getting STCW.

If you hold an RYA Yachtmaster Offshore or Ocean then having STCW allows the holder to skipper a vessel up to 200 gross tonnes. Such a vessels may be larger than 24m in length. This qualification issometimes called the RYA Master of Yachts 200GT.

Once you have completed your STCW Basic Safety Training course then you will need to complete steps 2 and 3 above. If you have any questions relating to Commercial Endorsement then feel free to contact us

Impartial training and careers advice.
Call us:
+44 (0)1983 280641