RYA Commercial Endorsement
If you would like to work as a professional skipper on a vessel whether it be a Powerboat, sailing yacht or motorboat then you will need to apply for RYA Commercial Endorsement.
Commercial Endorsement is required to work, as skipper, on a British flagged vessel that takes “paying passengers”. A commercial vessel can be defined as:
A motor or sailing vessel in commercial use (i.e. Charter) for sport or pleasure, carrying no cargo and not more than 12 paying passengers.
You are able to apply for a Commercial Endorsement on any of the following qualifications:
- RYA Powerboat Level 2
- RYA Advanced Powerboat Certificate of Competence
- RYA Day Skipper Practical (Power or Sail). You must have completed RYA Day Skipper Theory too
- RYA Yachtmaster Coastal Certificate of Competence
- RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence
- RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Certificate of Competence
How do I commercially endorse my certificate?
Before you can apply to the RYA to get your certificate commercially endorsed, you need to complete the following:
- ENG1 or ML5 medical.
- Sea survival certificate
- Professional Practices and Responsibilities course, known as PPR. Note, that the PPR qualification lasts for life.
- Commercial endorsement application through the RYA.
If you hold all four basic STCW Basic Safety training modules (Fire Fighting, Sea Survival, Elementary First Aid and PSSR) certificates then you can apply for the STCW endorsement. With an STCW endorsement your certificate of competence will be endorsed with the term “Master of Yachts 200Gton”.
Updating your STCW certificates
Since 2017 STCW Fire Fighting & Fire Prevention and Personal Survival are required to be updated every five years. Please note that if you hold any of the qualifications listed above with a commercial endorsement your STCW First Aid will also require updating, every five years.
Updating your Commercial Endorsement
All commercial endorsements are also required to be updated every five years. To update your commercial endorsement please use this link. You will need to be in the possession of:
- A valid ENG1 or ML5 medical certificate
- Your original certificate
- Passport photo
If you have any questions relating to RYA Commercial Endorsement then feel free to contact us