The RYA Windsurfing Instructor Course is our most popular windsurfing course. You spend six weeks on the beach learning how to become an RYA Windsurfing Instructor at one of Europe’s best training locations using brand new kit in fantastic conditions.
About this course
Our six-week Windsurfing Instructor course is suitable for people of all ages who share a desire to work outside in the sunshine on the beach teaching something you enjoy doing.
The six-week Windsurfing Instructors Course is aimed at beginners who may have windsurfed before but do not yet have the confidence to head out from the beach, tack around and sail back again. If you are a more advanced sailor, can tack, gybe, are using the foot straps and harness then perhaps consider joining our Windsurfing Instructor Fast Track Course
The course includes all the training needed to become a great Instructor, including Powerboat Level 2 and RYA First Aid. Due to the fantastic location, equipment, and instructor’s your personal sailing will be well above what’s required by the time you start your instructor’s course on week 6.
You will qualify as an RYA Start Windsurfing Instructor, allowing you to teach the RYA Start Windsurfing Scheme at any RYA centre around the world.
Training in Greece
Our schedule has you training 6 days a week between 10:00 am and 5:00 pm. There will be 3 hours of tuition before lunch then the same in the afternoon rounding up with a debrief at 5:00 pm. The equipment is available to use after sessions and in your own time. You will have Saturdays off to enjoy Vassiliki and the stunning Island of Lefkada.
Life off the water is just as exciting as life on it when the sun goes down Vassiliki comes alive, with great dining and socialising in town.
- RYA Start Windsurf Instructor Course
- RYA Powerboat Level 2 and rescue training
- RYA First Aid training with scenarios
- RYA Safe and Fun Course
- RYA publications W33 training manual and certificates
- Full tuition up to advanced level from our highly experienced team
- Fitness training including SUP, swim, yoga, and mountain bike options
Dates & pricing
Pre-requisite experience and qualifications
There are no formal pre-course requirements, just a desire to be on the water!
- You need to be 18 years of age or older
- Travel insurance is compulsory for all customers booked onto this course
- Before the final week of your course, you will need to join the RYA
Windsurfing Instructor course schedule:
Weeks 1 and 2: Learning the Basics
- All the skills required to get you to RYA intermediate standard
- Beach starts, using the foot straps
- Theory: weather, tides, 7 common senses, rules of the road
- Windsurfing upwind and downwind
- Rigging sails, types of boards, fins and harnesses
- Using the harnessing in strong winds
- Short board blasting
- Video coaching to help improve techniques
- Morning SUP skills, races and trips.
Weeks 3 and 4: Skills Development
- RYA Powerboat Level 2, rescue training and boat setup
- RYA First Aid training
- Personal windsurf tuition from intermediate to Advanced level
- Sailing upwind on short board using harness and the fast tack
- Water start and carve gybe training
- Sail away trips
- High wind blasting
- Morning SUP skills, races and trips.
- Advanced theory knowledge, fin design, rigging and tuning
Week 5: Instructor Preparation
- RYA Safety and Fun course
- Theory & practical presentations
- Learning styles, feedback, and teaching techniques
- Practice presentations pre-course questionnaires and feedback
- Afternoon high wind coaching
- Close quarters board handling and instructor skills
- Morning SUP skills, races, and trips.
Week 6: Start Windsurfing Instructor Course
The Windsurf Instructor Course runs Sunday – Wednesday with moderation on Thursday. There is a maximum of 8 students on the course. All students will be given the opportunity to deliver presentations and practical sessions. You will be assessed on your personal sailing skills, presentations techniques, and how you give feedback. After this week you will be competent in delivering all components of the RYA teaching syllabus.