The RYA Yachtmaster theory is an advanced course for skippers and navigators building on the RYA Day skipper theory. After completing this course, you will have a thorough knowledge of all the theory required to complete an offshore passage.
This course is essential for anybody who is working towards their Yachtmaster Coastal or Yachtmaster Offshore certificate of competence. The topics covered within the RYA Yachtmaster theory course will be consistent with subjects covered during your practical exam.
The RYA Yachtmaster theory course is also a requirement for anybody working towards their MCA Officer of the Watch certificate.
- Tuition, publications and certification.
Dates & pricing
Sorry, there are currently no dates scheduled for this course.
Pre-requisite experience and qualifications
You need to have completed your RYA Day Skipper theory or have equivalent knowledge. You will need navigation instruments, note pad, pens and pencils.
We recommend purchasing the Portland plotter and divider kit.
The course is a classroom based intensive course covering all aspects of navigation. You will cover the following subjects, not necessarily in this order, over the course of the week’s teaching:
- Introduction, tools of the navigator, charts, almanacs, time zones, 5011, chart corrections.
- Tidal theory, tables, springs and neaps, tidal diamonds.
- Raster and vector charts.
- Tidal heights.
- IRPCS, leading lights and clearing bearings.
- GPS, Limitations, electronic aids to navigation.
- Tidal streams, EP and CTS, Leeway and ETA calculations.
- Tidal stream exercises.
- Safety, seamanship and environment.
- Pilotage and passage planning.
- Radar fixes.
- Chartwork exercises/revision.
You will sit three exams during the course and will be awarded the RYA Yachtmaster theory certificate on successful completion of all three.