The Steward or Stewardess is on the frontline when it comes to delivering outstanding service to guests and owners. Having a full understanding of your role and the confidence in delivering that unique experience onboard requires special skills and a lot of practice.
This course is suitable if you already hold your STCW Basic Safety Training qualifications and are looking for some additional knowledge and training on the role of a Steward or Stewardess.
At Flying Fish you will get that practical experience and confidence you need to work as a Steward or Stewardess from one of our industry experts who will teach you all you need to know about the interior in just one week. Working on-board a luxury yacht requires attention to detail and being able to work as part of a small team or on your own. As a Steward/ess you will gain a specific set of skills that interior crew will learn to perfect to a very high standard.
This one-week Interior Course is part of our two-week Superyacht Steward/ess Course. You will learn everything about life on-board, silver service, how to make good coffee, arrange flowers, as well as organise and deliver a cocktail party.
To work on-board a large yacht you are required to hold your STCW qualifications. If you don’t already have your STCW Basic Safety Training certificates, then consider joining our Superyacht Steward and Stewardess Course.
Where to stay
If you choose our accommodation option, the Flying Fish crew houses in Cowes are comfortable and centrally located. Just a 2 minute walk to the town and our training centre, this will take the stress out of finding your own accommodation. You will be able to mix and socialise with other people on the course who, like you, will be starting a career in the Superyacht industry.
Our self catering accommodation costs £210 for the duration of the course.
- Superyacht Interior Skills and Certification
- MCA Proficiency in Designated Security Duties (PDSD)
- CIEH Food Safety Level 2
- Barista training, wine appreciation and cocktail mixing courses
- CV/Industry preparation day with one of our experts
- Free online recruitment service
- Superyacht Recruitment Event in Antibes
- Small student groups for personal approach and one-to-one time
Dates & pricing
|20/01/2020||24/01/2020||Cowes, Isle of Wight||Waitlisted, please call +441983280641|
|17/02/2020||21/02/2020||Cowes, Isle of Wight||Available|
|16/03/2020||20/03/2020||Cowes, Isle of Wight||Available|
|13/04/2020||17/04/2020||Cowes, Isle of Wight||Available|
|11/05/2020||15/05/2020||Cowes, Isle of Wight||Available|
Pre-requisite experience and qualifications
You must be 18 years old or older to train with Flying Fish.
The course is suitable if you already have your STCW Basic Safety Training qualifications and are looking to work as a Steward or Stewardess on a Superyacht. To work on a Superyacht you will need to complete an ENG1 Medical to say that you are fit to work at sea. We recommend you complete your ENG1 before you start your course. You will require STCW Basic Safety Training qualifications before applying for your first job.
- MCA Proficiency in Designated Ship Security Duties (PDSD) taught by an ex-royal marine.
- Overview of maritime security policy, terms, piracy and armed robbery.
- Group exercises and drills to learn potential security threats, weapons, hazardous substances and how to deal with them.
- CV day: we help you prepare your CV, look at contracts, recruitment agents, interview techniques, dock walking and top tips from our industry experts.
- An intro to working onboard a Superyacht from our Chief Stew. You will learn your role as a Steward/ess and the role of others onboard as well as terminology, crew etiquette, watch systems and the difference between private or charter.
- Wine tasting course to improve your knowledge of wines and spirits and associated foods.
- House keeping, laundry, products used, cabin detailing, bed making, turndowns, night service. We teach this all at a 5-star luxury hotel.
- Barista and cocktail training.
- Level 2 Food Hygiene Course.
- Silver service training for breakfast, lunch and dinner with hands-on practice. You will see the different styles of service required onboard.
- Host a cocktail party for VIP guests to put into practice what you have learnt on days 2 and 3.
- Toiletries, luggage packing and butler-style service for guests and owners.
- Flower arranging, styles and techniques.
Optional add-ons to your course:
VHF Radio – 1 Day
RYA Powerboat Level 2 Course – 2 Days
This course is a legal requirement for crew who need to drive the yacht tender. You will be on the water in one of our RIBs focusing on slow speed manoeuvres plus theory knowledge needed to drive the yacht tender.
PWC (Jet Ski) Course – 1 Day
This practical, exciting course will teach you all there is to know about the Jet Ski and how to use one safely. Jet Skis are often found on luxury yachts and it’s the crew’s job to know how to use these toys!
Continue your journey to becoming a Steward or Stewardess on a Superyacht with one of these courses.