Superyacht Steward/ess Course
This course is the right choice for anybody looking to become a Steward/ess. Includes STCW Basic Safety Training.
Cowes, Isle of Wight
Our Superyacht Steward/ess course provides everything you need to start your career as a Superyacht Steward or Stewardess. This a fantastic option if you are new to the industry and want to learn all the qualifications to get started.
One of our most popular courses, the Superyacht Steward/ess course, provides the mandatory STCW Basic Safety training course and a whole host of skills and qualifications needed to begin your career on a Superyacht. The course prepares you for life onboard, we will teach you everything from Napkin folding to driving a Powerboat!
Our Steward/ess course is made up of two of our most popular programmes:
Week 1: STCW Basic Safety Training week, required by all crew working at sea.
Week 2: Superyacht Interior course. Here, you will learn everything about being a steward/ess, from silver service to flower arranging. Please see below for the full itinerary.
Career Support Service
As well as practical skills, customers benefit from our bespoke Careers Support Service, which provides mentoring and support to ensure you are ready to start your new career. Our Career Support Service has everything you need from CV guidance to prepare you for life in the Superyacht industry, including:
- A dedicated personal mentor and coach will be on hand to support and guide you throughout your course.
- One-to-one CV writing sessions; we guide you through writing a yachting CV, provide CV templates, and help you complete your Yachting CV.
- Industry presentation on ‘how to find work’ to prepare you for life onboard, registering with recruitment agents, visas, bank accounts, and more.
- Seafarers tax advice. Flying Fish are registered tax agents, and we can provide expert advice on how to keep on top of your accounts.
- Guidance with covering letters and employer references.
- Interview techniques.
- Monthly meet up’s in Antibes with one of our Flying Fish Mentors.
- Six months of ongoing career support.
Why train with Flying Fish
- Flying Fish limits student numbers to small groups. This means you have the opportunity for one-to-one time with our expert Instructors.
- We provide hands-on experience.
- We provide shared self-catering accommodation in crew houses 5 minutes from our training centre in Cowes.
- Flying Fish offers a free and exclusive Career support service.
Check out what one of our Superyacht Steward/ess graduates, Rosie Jones, says about finding work in the Superyacht industry!
Becoming a Steward/ess
If you’re eager to learn more about the role of a Steward/ess, then you can find out everything about the role in our blog Becoming a Steward/ess.
A brief insight.
If you want to give your wallet some breathing space and pay back the course fees over time, you might like to consider funding your career. You would spread payment over 12 months through an interest-free finance agreement. Don’t hesitate to get in touch with us to apply.
Almost all customers choose our accommodation option. Flying Fish crew houses in Cowes are comfortable and centrally located—just a 5-minute walk to the town and our training centre. You can mix and socialise with other people on the course who, like you, will start a career in the Superyacht industry.
Please select the accommodation option below if you want to stay with us.
All crew who want to work on a commercial vessel, including Superyachts, must hold an ENG1 Medical. We recommend you complete the ENG1 Medical before the start of your course, as it confirms you are fit to go to sea. However, it is not a booking condition, so you can book your course without it.
- STCW Basic Safety Training
- Superyacht Interior Certificate
- CIEH Food Safety Level 2
- MCA Proficiency in Designated Security Duties (PDSD)
- RYA Powerboat Level 2
- RYA VHF Radio
- Barista training, wine appreciation, and cocktail mixing course.
- Silver service, housekeeping, Napkin/towel folding, and flower arranging.
- Industry-focused Customer service training.
- Career Support Service
- Small student groups for a personal approach and one-to-one time
You must be 18 years old or older to train with Flying Fish.
The course is suitable for complete beginners or those with experience who are looking to work as a Steward or Stewardess on a Superyacht.
To work on a Superyacht you will need to complete an ENG1 Medical and we recommend you complete this prior to the start of your course, though this is not essential.
The course is made up of fun, action-packed practical and theory exercises that will gain you certificates essential for putting you ahead of others looking for work in the industry. Here is an overview of the course structure:
Week 1 – STCW Basic Safety Training
STCW Basic Safety Training is a compulsory set of qualification for ALL crew who work on Superyachts. This six-day course is made up of several elements.
Fire Fighting, Personal Safety and Social Responsibilities (PSSR), Personal Survival Techniques, Elementary First Aid, and Security Awareness.
Week 2 – The day job
VHF Radio Operators Course – 1 Day
RYA Radio VHF Short Range Certificate (GMDSS/DSC) teaches you marine radio techniques and emergency procedures. VHF (SRC) exam fee is included in the course cost.
Proficiency in Designated Security Duties (PDSD) – 1 Day
PDSD is for crew members required to perform a security-related duty onboard a ship or Superyacht. The one-day, MCA-approved course provides the essential training to enable you to perform your role onboard.
Interior Training – 5 Days
During your training on this course, you will cover these subjects:
- Professional aspects of crewing on Superyachts
- Industry Clinic: the role of the interior crew and life onboard
- Wine appreciation course at an independent boutique establishment
- In-house barista training
- Cocktail training
- Level 2 food hygiene course run by an industry specialist and restaurateur
- Silver service training run by ex-Superyacht Chief Stew.
- Housekeeping and laundry, including cleaning products and their uses
- Flower arranging and table set up
- Mooring protocol, fenders, and lines
- Suitcase packing
- Ironing & stain removal workshop.
- Napkin folding
RYA Powerboat Level 2 Course – 2 Days
This practical on-water course is a legal requirement for crew driving the yacht tenders. The course is great fun, enjoyed by all.
Exclusive Career Support Service
Our Careers Support Service is exclusively for customers enrolled onto our Deck and Steward/ess course. We will guide you through all the details about working on a yacht, from paying tax to bank accounts, salary guides, your role onboard, and how to write a yachting CV.
What our previous students have to say
I recently completed my training with flying fish. From booking the course all the way through to receiving my certificates the team made it an effortless process and were always on hand to help.
I completed the Superyacht Deckhand course with Flying Fish in January 2023 and I highly recommend anyone interested in starting a career in yachting do their training with Flying Fish.
Book Superyacht Steward/ess Course today!
Our Superyacht Steward/ess course gives you everything you need to start looking for work as a Superyacht Steward or Stewardess. A great option if you are new to the industry and want to learn your role onboard.
Cowes, Isle of Wight
Still not sure?
From training to career advise we’ll be happy to sit down and give you the guidance you need!
We would recommend supplementing your training with the following courses to further boost your CV and increase your employability.
Superyacht Deckhand Course
Our most popular programme, providing everything you need to start your new career. Includes STCW Basic Safety Training.
Superyacht Interior Course
This course is suitable if you already hold your STCW Basic Safety Training and are looking for additional knowledge and training on the role of a Steward or Stewardess.