Our Superyacht Steward/ess course gives you everything you need to start looking for work as a Superyacht Steward or Stewardess. A great option if you are new to the industry and want to learn your role onboard.
Working as a Steward or Stewardess on a Superyacht is a job like no other. You will spend your days earning money working in the sunshine onboard an incredible yacht in some of the most amazing destinations in the world! The average salary for a Steward/ess just starting out in the industry is around €2,500 per month tax-free depending on your nationality and don’t forget about the tips coming from the rich and famous! Your accommodation and food on-board is paid for so you can potentially save loads whilst travelling the world!
To work onboard a Superyacht you’ll need to be hard working and prepared to be away from home for long periods, but there are fantastic opportunities to advance your career for the right individuals!
Why train with Flying Fish?
1. Flying Fish limit student numbers to small groups. This means you have the opportunity for one-to-one time with our expert Instructors. You can use this time to perfect any skills you may be struggling with to guarantee a successful start into the industry.
2. Flying Fish are always happy to tailor courses to your needs. Would you like to become a steward/ess but already have your Powerboat Level 2 licence? No problem, our bespoke course options mean you won’t need to spend any time or money unnecessarily.
3. Flying Fish provide shared self-catering accommodation in crew houses only minute’s from our training centre in Cowes. Our crew houses are a fantastic way for you to spend time with other students, often cooking and going out together, you’ll create friendships you’ll take with you as you travel the world.
4. Flying Fish include a CV day and mock Superyacht interview with one of our industry experts. We will work with you throughout your time with us to make sure your CV is the best it can be. We can even provide CV guidance and proofreading after you’ve completed your course plus a written reference to accompany your CV.
5. Flying Fish offer a free and exclusive Recruitment Event in Antibes. This event not only hooks you up with crew agents and helps you seek employment, we also give you knowledge on the local area and how to live there on a budget! Over a week’s worth of knowledge wrapped into one day!
No need to take our word for it, check out what our past students have to say about their time with Flying Fish!
Also, check out what one of our 2018 Superyacht Stewardess graduates, Rosie Jones has to say about finding work in the Superyacht industry!
Flying Fish can provide some great accommodation options for you in one of our crew houses in Cowes. Nice, comfortable and centrally located, just a 2-minute walk to the town and our training centre. You will be able to mix and socialise with other people on the course who, like you, will be starting a career in the Superyacht industry.
- STCW Basic Safety Training
- Superyacht Interior Certificate
- CIEH Food Safety Level 2
- MCA Proficiency in Designated Security Duties (PDSD)
- RYA Powerboat Level 2
- RYA Personal Watercraft Course (PWC)
- RYA VHF Radio
- Barista training, wine appreciation and cocktail mixing courses
- Customer service training
- CV/Industry preparation day with one of our experts
- Realistic Steward/ess job interview with one of our experts
- Free online recruitment service
- Superyacht Recruitment Event in Antibes
- Small student groups for personal approach and one-to-one time
- A written reference from one of our experts and ongoing support on completion of your training
Dates & pricing
|29/04/2019||13/05/2019||Cowes, Isle of Wight||1 place remaining|
|27/05/2019||10/06/2019||Cowes, Isle of Wight||4 spaces left|
|01/07/2019||15/07/2019||Cowes, Isle of Wight||4 spaces left|
|22/07/2019||05/08/2019||Cowes, Isle of Wight||4 spaces left|
|19/08/2019||02/09/2019||Cowes, Isle of Wight||4 spaces left|
|09/09/2019||23/09/2019||Cowes, Isle of Wight||6 spaces left|
|07/10/2019||21/10/2019||Cowes, Isle of Wight||7 spaces left|
|04/11/2019||18/11/2019||Cowes, Isle of Wight||7 spaces left|
Pre-requisite experience and qualifications
You must be 18 years old or older to train with Flying Fish.
This course is suitable for complete beginners, though hospitality experience is an advantage. You should be well-groomed and smart in appearance along with a strong work ethic, which is vital to your new career.
To work on a Superyacht you will need to complete an ENG1 Medical and we recommend you complete this prior to the start of your course, though this is not essential.
The course is made up of fun, action-packed practical and theory exercises that will gain you certificates essential for putting you ahead of others looking for work in the industry. Here is an overview of the course structure:
STCW Basic Safety Training – 6 Days
STCW Basic Safety is a compulsory qualification for crew on Superyachts:
- Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting
- Personal Safety and Social Responsibilities
- Proficiency in Security Awareness
- Personal Survival Techniques
- Elementary First Aid
VHF Radio Operators Course – 1 Day
RYA Radio VHF Short Range Certificate (GMDSS/DSC) teaches you marine radio techniques and emergency procedures. VHF (SRC) exam fee not included. Payable to the RYA. On completion of this course you will have gained your VHF Radio licence.
Steward/ess Training – 5 Days
During your training on this course, you will cover these subjects:
- Getting a job, careers advice, creating your CV, references, interview techniques
- Professional aspects of crewing on Superyachts
- Skills needed, the role of the interior crew and life onboard
- MCA Proficiency in Designated Security Duties (PDSD)
- Wine appreciation course at an independent boutique establishment
- Cocktails mixing and barista training at a 5* boutique guest house established and run by ex-Superyacht crew
- Level 2 food hygiene course run by an industry specialist and restaurateur
- Organise and run a cocktail party for VIP guests at one of the most historic and prestigious yacht clubs in Britain
- Silver service training at a 5* boutique guest house established and run by ex-Superyacht crew
- Housekeeping and laundry including cleaning products and their uses
- Flower arranging and table set up
- Mooring protocol, fenders and lines
- Suitcase packing
RYA Powerboat Level 2 Course – 2 Days
This course is a legal requirement for crew who need to drive the yacht tender. You will be on the water in one of our RIBs focusing on slow speed manoeuvres plus theory knowledge needed to drive the yacht tender. On completion of this course you will gain your Powerboat licence.
PWC (Jet Ski) Course – 1 Day
This practical, exciting course will teach you all there is to know about the Jet Ski and how to use the ski safely. Jet Skis are often found on luxury yachts and it’s the crew’s job to know how to use these toys! On completion of this course you will gain your Personal Watercraft licence.
Superyacht Recruitment Event in Antibes (Optional)
There is no additional charge for this Recruitment Event in the South of France. Our staff in Antibes help you through the process of seeking employment. The event includes: looking at local crew agencies, what to expect, personal presentation, dos and don’ts, dock walking, and a final polish of your CV before you begin your career in the Superyacht industry.
We would recommend supplementing your training with the following courses to further boost your CV and increase your employability.