Our Superyacht Steward/ess course gives you everything you need to start looking for work as a Superyacht Steward or Stewardess. A great option if you are new to the industry and want to learn your role onboard.
Working as a Steward or Stewardess on a Superyacht is a job like no other. You will spend your days earning money working in the sunshine onboard an incredible yacht in some of the most amazing destinations in the world! The average salary for a Steward/ess just starting out in the industry is around €2,500 per month tax-free depending on your nationality and don’t forget about the tips coming from the rich and famous! Your accommodation and food onboard is paid for so you can potentially save loads whilst travelling the world!
Funding your new career
Would you like to pay for your course on Finance? A growing number of customers want the option to spread the course fees giving your wallet a bit of breathing space. If this is you then Flying Fish are now able to offer customers the option to spread payment over 12 months in the form of an interest-free finance agreement. Please contact us to find out more.
Superyacht Steward/ess Course
One of our most popular courses the Superyacht Steward/ess course provides the mandatory STCW Basic Safety training course as well as a whole host of skill and qualifications needed to begin your career on a Superyacht. The course prepares you for life onboard, we will teach you everything from Napkin folding to driving a Powerboat.
Preparing your CV
Having a perfect CV is one of the most important factors in landing that first job. We help you prepare, format and write your CV during, including getting that all-important photo! We run a session on working in the industry that covers everything from paying tax to what to pack. Flying Fish customers benefit from our exclusive recruitment day in Antibes, run by one of our team who has worked in the industry for over 15 years.
Where to stay
If you choose our accommodation option, the Flying Fish crew houses in Cowes are comfortable and centrally located. Just a 2-minute walk to the town and our training centre, this will take the stress out of finding your own accommodation. You will be able to mix and socialise with other people on the course who, like you, will be starting a career in the Superyacht industry.
Two weeks of self-catering accommodation costs £440.
Have you completed an ENG1 Medical?
All crew who want to work on a Superyacht are required to hold an EN1 medical. We recommend you complete the ENG1 Medical before the start of your course, as it confirms you are fit to go to sea.
Why train with Flying Fish?
- Flying Fish limit student numbers to small groups. This means you have the opportunity for one-to-one time with our expert Instructors.
- Flying Fish are always happy to tailor your programme, elements can be added or removed.
- We provide shared self-catering accommodation in crew houses 5-minute’s from our training centre in Cowes.
- Flying Fish offers a free and exclusive Recruitment Event in Antibes. This event not only hooks you up with crew agents and helps you seek employment, we also give you knowledge on the local area and how to live there on a budget! Over a week’s worth of knowledge wrapped into one day!
No need to take our word for it, check out what our past students have to say about their time with Flying Fish!
Also, check out what one of our Superyacht Stewardess graduates, Rosie Jones has to say about finding work in the Superyacht industry!
- STCW Basic Safety Training
- Superyacht Interior Certificate
- CIEH Food Safety Level 2
- MCA Proficiency in Designated Security Duties (PDSD)
- RYA Powerboat Level 2
- RYA VHF Radio
- Barista training, wine appreciation and cocktail mixing courses
- Customer service training
- CV Clinic, industry guidance and mentoring with one of our expert
- Realistic Steward/ess job interview training
- Free online recruitment service
- Superyacht Recruitment Event in Antibes
- Small student groups for a personal approach and one-to-one time
- RYA Personal Watercraft Course (PWC) (Optional)
Dates & pricing
|10/02/2020||24/02/2020||Cowes, Isle of Wight||Fully booked|
|09/03/2020||23/03/2020||Cowes, Isle of Wight||Waitlisted, please call +44 (0)1983 280641|
|06/04/2020||20/04/2020||Cowes, Isle of Wight||3 spaces left|
|04/05/2020||18/05/2020||Cowes, Isle of Wight||6 spaces left|
|25/05/2020||08/06/2020||Cowes, Isle of Wight||6 spaces left|
|22/06/2020||06/07/2020||Cowes, Isle of Wight||6 spaces left|
|20/07/2020||03/08/2020||Cowes, Isle of Wight||6 spaces left|
|17/08/2020||31/08/2020||Cowes, Isle of Wight||8 spaces left|
|07/09/2020||21/09/2020||Cowes, Isle of Wight||8 spaces left|
|05/10/2020||19/10/2020||Cowes, Isle of Wight||8 spaces left|
|09/11/2020||23/11/2020||Cowes, Isle of Wight||8 spaces left|
Pre-requisite experience and qualifications
You must be 18 years old or older to train with Flying Fish.
This course is suitable for complete beginners, though hospitality experience is an advantage. You should be well-groomed and smart in appearance along with a strong work ethic, which is vital to your new career.
To work on a Superyacht you will need to complete an ENG1 Medical and we recommend you complete this prior to the start of your course, though this is not essential.
The course is made up of fun, action-packed practical and theory exercises that will gain you certificates essential for putting you ahead of others looking for work in the industry. Here is an overview of the course structure:
Week 1 – STCW Basic Safety Training
STCW Basic Safety is a compulsory qualification for crew on Superyachts:
- Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting
- Personal Safety and Social Responsibilities
- Proficiency in Security Awareness
- Personal Survival Techniques
- Elementary First Aid
- Security Awareness Training
How to format and write a CV
VHF Radio Operators Course – 1 Day
RYA Radio VHF Short Range Certificate (GMDSS/DSC) teaches you marine radio techniques and emergency procedures. VHF (SRC) exam fee not included. Payable to the RYA. On completion of this course, you will have gained your VHF Radio licence.
Proficiency in Designated Security Duties (PDSD) – 1 Day
PDSD is for crew members who are required to perform a security-related duty onboard a ship or Superyacht. The one-day, MCA approved Course provides the essential training to enable you to perform your role onboard.
Steward/ess Training – 5 Days
During your training on this course, you will cover these subjects:
- Professional aspects of crewing on Superyachts
- Skills needed, the role of the interior crew and life onboard
- Wine appreciation course at an independent boutique establishment
- Cocktails mixing and barista training at a 5* boutique guest house established and run by ex-Superyacht crew
- Level 2 food hygiene course run by an industry specialist and restaurateur
- Organise and run a cocktail party for VIP guests at one of the most historic and prestigious yacht clubs in Britain
- Silver service training at a hotel established and run by ex-Superyacht Chief Stew.
- Housekeeping and laundry including cleaning products and their uses
- Flower arranging and table set up
- Mooring protocol, fenders and lines
- Suitcase packing
RYA Powerboat Level 2 Course – 2 Days
This course is a legal requirement for crew who need to drive the yacht tender. You will be on the water in one of our RIBs focusing on slow speed manoeuvres plus theory knowledge needed to drive the yacht tender. On completion of this course you will gain your Powerboat licence.
PWC (Jet Ski) Course – 1 Day (optional)
This practical, exciting course will teach you all there is to know about the Jet Ski and how to use the ski safely. Jet Skis are often found on luxury yachts and it’s the crew’s job to know how to use these toys! On completion of this course, you will gain your Personal Watercraft licence.
Superyacht Recruitment Event in Antibes (Optional)
There is no additional charge for this Recruitment Event in the South of France. Our staff in Antibes help you through the process of seeking employment. The event includes: looking at local crew agencies, what to expect, personal presentation, dos and don’ts, dock walking, and a final polish of your CV before you begin your career in the Superyacht industry.
We would recommend supplementing your training with the following courses to further boost your CV and increase your employability.